Above are three Misprints that I worked on over a period of two months. These prints only exist as photo documents which I am now calling “#misprintstate“. The prints are made by applying multiple prints on the same plate and using the same source image. In early January I completely sanded down the aluminum plate [101516 DEC 16], and started again to Misprint the same image from the September 2, 2015 event.
I’ve added “state” to the title of my Misprint to indicate and document the different changes each print is going through. The term is used in printmaking to mark any given stage of the plate before it is reworked.
Another term that has crept in my process is “matrix”, which for printmakers, it means the substrate – the plate or woodblock that produces multiple prints. However, in Misprint, this relationship is somewhat oblique and inverted. The inkjet printer which is capable of producing repeatable, predictable multiple prints is now functioning to produce one print.
Here, I would conflate printmaking “matrix” with U.S. Military use of the term “matrix” which has to do with an “area”, the name of the place, action and time, but above all there is “no prescribed format” in what is expected to occur.
A side note about the title format, specifically between the two brackets, it follows the “date-time group” at which the message was prepared for Misprint.
Shown is a recent “#misprintstate” – this piece and a few others have been sanded down and are being reworked again. These 1/4″ aluminum plates have created a new set of problems, and made it difficult to know how the final image will print. But that’s what makes this process so compelling and unpredictable, especially with the new hacked inkjet printer.